Sunday, February 14, 2010

single & satisfied - part II

As promised, this is part II of single & satisfied. Hopefully these Biblical guidelines will inspire you to stay satisfied in your singleness!

There are days where I dwell on my singleness. I think about “when I get married” and somehow think life will be perfect then. I have learned contentment is not based on a relationship with another person. Contentment comes from within. (Phil 4:12) It is in these times I have to focus on what is real, what is true. (Phil 4:8). I recently heard a young woman who was asked if she felt “called” to singleness, and her reply has stuck with me. She said, “in this moment I am”. I feel this is so true, we do not know when our prince charming will come, and until he does, we are called to singleness.

This world tells us so many lies: lies about our appearance, lies about our relationship status, and lies that say our social status is based on our ability to bear children. When in reality, every single one of us is PERFECT - Fearfully & Wonderfully made (Ps. 139:14). We have all been created with a purpose. We must CHOOSE happiness. If we dwell on the “what-ifs” of life, we will never be content. We are made to have joy; we are made to be prosperous. So many times we forget the little things, the everyday things that are gifts. The sunrises & the sunsets, the flowers, the snow, and yes even the rain. When the rain comes I am reminded that the beauty of the flowers comes because of the rain. Without rain, there would be no rainbows. In our lives we must learn that in order to see the rainbows of our life, we must endure the rain (Ps. 30:5).

1 Corinthians 7:7 “I wish everyone could get along w/out marrying, just as I do. But we are not all the same. God gives some the gift of marriage, and to others he gives the GIFT of singleness!” A GIFT….He calls it a gift. A gift specifically designed just for you!

Psalm 139: 13 & 16 “You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body and knit me together in my mothers womb.” v16: “You saw me before I was born. Every day of my life was recorded in your book. Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed.” - The Lord knew you before your conception. He made you PERFECTLY in His will. He knows every single thing that will happen to you; every day of your life has already been written. It is senseless to worry about when you will meet your spouse, and how you will meet your spouse. It is already planned! There is NOTHING you can do to alter His timing! - Philippians 4: 6 “Don’t worry about anything, instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done.”

Jeremiah 29:11 “For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord. They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future & a hope.” - Your waiting, which may seem like an eternity, is to prosper you, NOT to harm you!

Be assured the Lord hears you when you call! The times when you are angry and you yell & scream life isn’t fair, He hears you! Ps. 3:4 “I cried out to the Lord & he answered me from his holy mountain.” Ps 4:3 “…The Lord will answer when I call to him.” Ps. 28:6 “Praise the Lord! He has heard my cry for mercy.” Ps. 34:15 “…his ears are open to their cries for help”….v17 “The Lord hears his people when they call to him for help.”

Ps. 18:19 “He led me to a place of safety; he rescued me because he delights in me.” I love that he says he DELIGHTS in ME! Little ole me!

Ps. 27:10 “Even if my father & mother abandon me, the Lord will hold me close.” - I have always liked to argue that God can be my protector, provider, but he can’t “hold me” when I need a hug…and then I found this verse…He always proves He knows my needs. ☺

Ps. 37:4 “Take delight in the Lord & he will give you your hearts desires.” - Does this mean if you desire a million dollars he will give it to you? NO. As you dwell in His presence, your desires & His desires will merge and your desires will become his desires.

Prov. 16:9 “We can make our plans, but the Lord determines our steps.” - No matter WHAT we do, He has our lives in His hands. No matter how much we try to rush our husband into our lives, he will not come until the Lord determines we are both ready for the commitment.

Whether you ever find “Mr. Right” or not, remember this world is not our home. The life we live is only temporary. (Heb. 13:14).


5 comments:

  1. A, thanks so much. I really needed that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "1 Corinthians 7:7 “I wish everyone could get along w/out marrying, just as I do. But we are not all the same. God gives some the gift of marriage, and to others he gives the GIFT of singleness!” A GIFT….He calls it a gift. A gift specifically designed just for you!"

    Actually the phrase "gift of singleness" is being wiped out from modern Bibles. The NLT has already removed it, and The Message is due to follow suit. Paul wasn't saying that marital status is a gift (that would be a translation error), but rather, that "each has their own gift of God" and therefore it's up to the individual to choose whether or not to marry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you negative Nancy for now making it seem like our time of singleness is not a gift, but a situation we have "chosen" for ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I disagree... God chooses whether or not we marry (when we're aligned with His will). He's given us the gift to do other things that married couples may not have time or money to accomplish. Also, He gives that gift to some because He knows that marriage may hold them back from fullfilling his will. People today are choosing for themselves and divorce rates are extremely high, rather than following God's will for their life.. simply because "it feels right".

    Just a thought :)

    ReplyDelete