Friday, February 5, 2010

Happy Valentine's Day! - for the couples

So, first of all, why are you reading my blog if you've already made it to the "couple" stage of a relationship? Obviously things aren't going so well for ya cowboy! Are you having dating dilemmas? Ok, Ok, I'll let it slide, and I'll hope you are just trying to make your relationship the best relationship possible!

So, what can you do to make Valentines special for your special someone?

Depending on the length of your relationship, your options will vary. If you have been dating for a very short period of time, Valentines can be a very stressful "holiday" if you wanna call it that. If you've been dating for a while, it can be a nice, fun night to show your girlfriend how much you really do love her.

I (notice, this is me personally, not the entire female population) get annoyed at the crowds in the restaurants on Valentine's! I say, plan something for just the two of you.

One of the BEST Valentine's (and now that I think about it, it was the last Valentines Day I actually had a boyfriend) dates I ever had was actually an accident. We went to a nice restaurant to eat, but when we arrived they were no longer accepting reservations. So, we got back in the truck, and he said we could go anywhere I wanted, I thought for a minute, and while I was thinking, he chimed in, and said "how about Arbys" [now, please know, he really was kidding], but in that moment, an Arby's beef & cheddar sounded REALLY good to me. So, I took him up on that offer. The only stipulation I made, was we were going through the drive through because we had both gotten really dressed up for the night, and I didn't want people to think we had gotten all dolled up for a night out at Arbys. We took our roast beef sandwiches back to the apartment, made a picnic in the den floor, and as they say, the rest is history.

My case in point, it doesn't have to be expensive, it doesn't have to be fancy, it just has to be exclusively for the two of you.

You could cook for her, you could set up a "dance floor" in your den, you could go for a romantic stroll on the riverwalk, make a fire and roast marshmallows & make smores.

Now, what are some gifts you could give that aren't roses? Roses are fine, for some girls, some women expect them. I personally think they are a waste of money. I do however realize, they are an "easy" gift if you haven't been dating long, and you aren't sure what to buy. Here are some other options: purchase a gift certificate for massage, or a mani/pedi, anything to a spa is always a good choice. Take her shopping! I could easily buy 3 new pairs of shoes, or 2 or 3 purses for the price of a dozen roses. If you pay attention, you may actually pick up on subtle hints she gives over the next week or so, she may make comments such as, "I really could use a new......" or "Oh this is so cute" take note when she says these things, and then get to shopping!

If all else fails, or if you are as poor as dirt, just make her a construction paper card w/cut out hearts and write her a song.

happy dating! `A

3 comments:

  1. When "A" says, & I quote, "We took our roast beef sandwiches back to the apartment, made a picnic in the den floor, and as they say, the rest is history", does she imply that she may have "shagged" in the den.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. shelley, shelley, shelley....that was not the meaning implied here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr. Olive the News and I always celebrate Valentine's Day with a really nice dinner cooked at home on our "nice" china and only homemade gifts. I love it that way!

    ReplyDelete