Saturday, February 13, 2010

single & satisfied - part I

Q: I have always been ok with being single for the most part, but lately I've started struggling with it. Do you have any reading suggestions? I would prefer devotions... Also what are some ideas you have about ways to improve the singleness state of mind?

A: While most of my posts are usually pretty "generic" in nature, because of your specific request for devotions, this post will be more spiritual in nature, and I will share ways to utilize your faith to make your singleness an exciting, and not a dreadful state of your life!

Here are some books I have read at some point in my life that I've really enjoyed:
  • Captivating by John & Stasi Eldredge
  • What's a Girl to Do? (while waiting for Mr. Right) by Janet L. Folger
  • Two dates or Less by Neil Clark Warren - hence why only one guy has made it to a 3rd date w/me in the past 5 years! :)
  • For Women Only by Shaunti Feldhahn - This book is about understanding the inner lives of men. It was a HUGE eye opener for me, and it really changed the way I interact w/men. It is a Bible study & has some videos to go with it as well.
  • Lady in Waiting by Jackie Kendall & Debby Jones
You asked how to improve the "single state of mind". When I begin to feel sorry for myself, I have to focus on truth. I begin to focus on the good things about my life. I have a wonderful family, amazing friends, I've never been hungry, I've never been homeless, I have a job, a vehicle, food, clothes, an education, and of course, a loving Heavenly Father. Sometimes you may even need to write out all the wonderful things about your life. When you put them on paper and begin to see how amazing your life truly is, it's kinda hard to feel sorry for yourself anymore.

I'm working on part II, which will have scripture to support you during your single life!

No comments:

Post a Comment