Wednesday, May 5, 2010

things to NEVER say to a single woman

First, I must confess, this wasn't my idea, it was inspired by yahoo.com. I've added my own thoughts on each subject, and I'd LOVE to hear your most hated "single" cliches as well.

  • It will happen when you least expect it. - Really? It happens every single day to people who are waiting, looking for it and wanting it to happen.
  • There are plenty of fish in the sea. Thank you captain obvious. We KNOW this, but when we've just been heart broken, this really doesn't help. We don't need plenty of fish, we just need one.
  • You're too picky. Are you kidding me? Not only have you just insulted my taste in men and my morals you've made me feel like my singleness is somehow my fault, and I should just "settle down" with the next man that walks by. I'd rather stay single than settle!
  • You'll find the right one....someday. I think I already knew that, no fortune teller there.
  • Just have fun while you can, enjoy your singleness. So if marriage is such a horrible thing, and fun ends the day you say "I do" why are so many people continuing to marry? There must be something to it.
  • I wish I was still single. Last time I checked you could be. I can't magically make Mr. Right appear, but you can make Mr. Wrong disappear.
  • I just want to know why you don't have a boyfriend! I understand you're trying to communicate that you think I'm attractive, and have some great qualities to offer a guy, but what I hear is "What is wrong with you, you're just too picky!"
  • You'll be next (when said @ a wedding). Have you been looking into your crystal ball sister Sylvia? You have no idea when I'm getting married.
  • It just wasn't meant to be. Very comforting. I'm getting warm fuzzies all over right now just thinking about how meaningful those words are.
  • Better hurry up, that clock is ticking. You actually think I haven't thought of that? Tick, tick, tick....I hear it in my head all the time.
  • Maybe you're just not trying hard enough, you need to put yourself out there more. So, should I be standing on the street corner holding a sign that says "Hey, I'm single & ready to mingle"?
  • It's time to move on. Ok, so yes, you may be right, sometimes we do need friends to tell us to get up off our butts and quit crying in front of a closed door, but if we're not READY to move on, is that beneficial to the next guy we date, ummm no.
  • Well when Sam and I met...... When did this turn into your story? I still want to talk about me! How can you give me advice on how to date in my late 20s/30s when you got married at 22? Your story about how you had to wait sooooo long really is not valid in my mind, I'm a lot older, and have been waiting a lot longer.

2 comments:

  1. Andrea,
    I usually just read this and not comment...but this list could go on forever! One thing that has been said to me, and I hate it is...

    Oh, have you lost weight? You will find a guy before too long.

    I have heard this way to much in reference to many people. Not the best thing to tell a single girl. As if we want a guy that only likes us if we lose five pounds... anyway.. just thought I would throw this one in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the addition! It's so true, people tell us "it's what's on the inside that counts" but then make comments like that which reinforce any insecurities we may have about our looks!

    ReplyDelete